My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://chezsasha.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

November 29, 2009

Gnocchi Alla Vodka

My second gnocchi attempt was definitely more successful than the first. They turned out melt-in-your-mouth soft.

Even though I used the same measurements of everything else, I ended up needing less flour, which resulted in a softer, fluffier dough. And, someone had advised me on my last gnocchi post to let the dough rest for 30 minutes before forming and I think this helped too. Most doughs turn out better if you let them rest.

As for the vodka sauce…enough said ; )


(Yield: 3-4 servings)

Gnocchi:

1 large/2 small russet potatoes

1 egg

¾ tsp salt

½-3/4 c flour

Vodka sauce:

1 c marinara sauce

¼ c vodka

¼ c heavy cream


Gnocchi: wash and dry the potatos, and prick all over with fork. Cook in microwave until soft (most microwaves have a baked potato setting. If not, this should take 4-5 min.) Let cool slightly, peel and mash in a large bowl. Then add the egg and salt. Then add flour, starting with about 1/3 cup- keep adding bit by bit, kneading until a soft dough forms. It should not be sticky but should not fall apart either.


Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let sit for 30 min. Then divide the dough into 4 parts. Working on 1 part at a time: on a floured surface, roll out into a log (about ¾” in diameter) and cut into 1” pieces. Continue with the rest of dough.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the gnocchi in it. Wait until they float to the surface (about 1 min) then cook another 3-4 min.

Sauce: combine the marinara and vodka in a skillet on medium heat. When the mixture starts simmering, turn the heat down and cook 12 more minutes (for the alcohol to evaporate.) Then stir in the cream.


When done, remove the gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon and combine with the sauce. Garnish with Parmesan or some greenery.



9 comments:

Sofya said...

....WOW.

George Gaston said...

What a wonderful pasta recipe! There is something about gnocchi that takes me back to my days of eating in Little Italy (NYC). This dish would definitely be a hit there. Many thanks for sharing...

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

This looks great! I just bookmarked it for next week! :-)

Barbara said...

Vodka? Well, it would bring me to the table, that's for sure. Yum.

Loving your photos too!

Olga said...

Good tip about letting the dough rest: must remember the next time I make mine.

Looks really really really good!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

the first time i made gnocchi they turned into mush. I have to try them again because your gnocchi and sauce look amazing!

Kate at Serendipity said...

Gnocchi! This is comfort food at its best. Winter is coming. This will be a very useful recipe to have around...

Chef Fresco said...

I have been wanting to try homemade gnocchi for a while - yours looks tasty!

debra@dustjacket said...

I must say I was interested in the Vodka sauce. The Gnocchi looks so heartwarming, yum.
xxx