My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://chezsasha.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

February 28, 2010

Crumb Cake

I’m not too fond of pretentious, intricate desserts and that’s exactly what this crumb cake is not. It has a light and fluffy texture, and the topping makes it crunchy. This cake is a perfect match for tea or coffee.

I found the recipe on RecipeZaar and scaled it down by half. I was going to add blueberries but I only remembered about them after I put the cake in the over. Don’t you hate it when that happens?


Ingredients:

(For the cake)

½ stick of butter, softened

4 oz cream cheese*

5/8 c/140 g sugar

1 egg*

1 tsp vanilla extract

¼ c milk*

1 c flour

1 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt


*At room temp.


For the topping:

¼ stick of butter, cold

¼ c flour

¼ brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 355 F. Grease an 8”x8” baking pan and set aside.

Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add sugar. Then add the egg, vanilla and milk. Mix until well-combined. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and gradually add to the wet mixture.

Topping: Combine the sugar, cinnamon and flour and cut in the butter. The consistency should be that of a coarse meal.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes.



4 comments:

Chef Aimee said...

I agree, Sasha. I don't like pretentious desserts either. A thick slice of cake, a good cookie, and a rich chocolate mousse is just fine! This crumb cake looks perfectly moist!

A said...

What a scrumptious, little beauty.

And the lighting is juuust right ;)

BumbleVee said...

brown sugar and cinnamon.... how could you go wrong? mmm... yummy....

I did make one with blueberries a while back...well, too long ago really....time to make another one. I love simple yet tasty treats...scones, muffins and crumb cakes are the best.

Pam said...

I think it's perfect without the blueberries. I love the thick crumb topping!