My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://chezsasha.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

July 13, 2009

Bacon Mac and Cheese

Mac and cheese is undoubtedly a comfort food and also undoubtedly, one of my all-time favorites! I don’t eat it often to avoid a carb-overload but I’m in heaven whenever I do.

This was for dinner tonight. It probably would’ve been better had I used Fontina cheese but it was delicious anyway. The inside was soft and creamy while the top was crispy. And of course, everything’s better with bacon.

(This will feed four very hungry people)

Ingredients:

4 strips of bacon

¾ lb elbow macaroni

1 tbs butter

1 tbs flour

1 1/3 c whole milk

½ c American cheese, shredded

½ c Baby Muenster cheese, shredded

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp salt

A few tbs of Parmesan cheese


Place the bacon on a skillet/griddle and turn the heat to medium. Cook until crispy, flipping once, about 7 minutes. Drain and cool on a paper towel.

Cook the macaroni – I hope you can all do that. Boil it until it is slightly underdone, though, because it will finish cooking in the oven.

Meanwhile, place the butter into a medium-size saucepan on low heat. After it’s melted, sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for two minutes. This is a roux (ROO.) Stir in the milk. Turn up the heat slightly and bring the mixture to a slow boil – about 5 minutes. It should be thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon at this point. Turn the heat off and whisk in the cheese and seasonings, until the mixture is homogenous.

Remember that bacon? Once it’s cooled, crumble it up into small pieces.

Now combine the macaroni, cheese sauce and bacon. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake in a preheated 420 degree oven for about 20 min, until the top is golden brown. And ta-da! Serve straight out of the oven. : ]


Just some kitchen LOL ; )

7 comments:

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I think that I can actually try this myself... :)

Sasha said...

Please do : ]

Olga said...

That looks so great! Such perfect comfort food.

Have you ever tried adding tuna? it's good! and also green peas :)

Sasha said...

Peas sound good but I never understood the concept of tuna together with cheese... : /

Karina said...

lol omg i saw this weeks menu thing in the Doody store, i wanted to buy it but my mom didnt let me <3

Sasha said...

Lol, Karina. It's in my kitchen.

George Gaston said...

Your Bacon, Mac & Cheese is sinfully incredible. You have taken a classic and made it even better.

And your Weekly Menu is priceless!