My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://chezsasha.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

October 26, 2009

Sweeter Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes, also known as yams, are a starchy, root vegetable. A medium-size yam is about 100 calories and is rich in fiber and Vitamin A (which acts as an anti-oxidant and improves eye-sight.)

Quite a few years ago, I went to Orlando, FL with my family. There we dined at Emeril’s Restaurant, where I had a meal that I still remember. I started with the shrimp and andouille gumbo, then I had the double cut pork chop with caramelized sweet potatoes and a banana cream pie was for dessert. I can still recall the taste of all three courses – it was an exceptional meal. The item that stood out the most however were the caramelized sweet potatoes, which, had I not known any better, I’d say were pure candy.

I’ve never attempted cooking my own version until tonight. And even though I’m sure my method is more primitive than Emeril’s, I came unexpectedly close in taste.

(Yield: 4 servings)

Ingredients:

2 large yams

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp honey

½ tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp dried basil


Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with foil, set aside.

Wash and dry the potatoes, and cut into 1” cubes. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, honey and seasonings. Then toss the potatoes in the mixture and place on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast 35-40 min, or until tender. Serve right away.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Congratulations for your blog! I'm Andrea, an Italian guy who created and managed a Food&Drink blog.
What do you think about a link exchange? :)

Sorry for my bad English! ;)

Ricette Blog

Anonymous said...

@ Sasha
Hi Sasha! Thank's for your comment! Try this tool to read my blog in English. ;)

Sofya said...

I wish I came over more often! I think my life would just be a lot better.

George Gaston said...

Sasha, This sounds like an easy way to prepare sweet potatoes; which is one of my favorite vegetables. I definitely will be trying your recipe. Thanks...

Emily said...

These look gorgeous! I adore sweet potatoes and can't wait to try this recipe.

Karine said...

That is a great idea to caramelize sweet potatoes! I prefer sweet potatoes to white potatoes

Unknown said...

I love sweet potatoes too. What a great recipe. I think its so fab that you've been to one of Emerils restaurants! I want to go too!!!!

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

I have never tried sweet potaoes actually! You have inspired me to try them at least! :)

debra@dustjacket said...

I love sweet potatoes, so this will be a must try for me.

Thanks,
xxx

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great way of preparing yams! Scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

♥ Marta from With Love... said...

My mommy makes a similar dish and it is delicious :)

Pam said...

The perfect side dish for this time of year.